Panoz AIV Roadster 1997
4.6 Liter Modular V-8
Borg-Warner T-45 Manual 5 Speed
Hot Red over Black
Brighton Motorsports is pleased to present this remarkable 1997 Panoz AIV Roadster in Hot Red over Black Leather Trimmed Interior. This car is in excellent condition throughout and has only 10,700 miles on it.
The mold has been broken. The blanket of automotive conformity lifted. The true American sports car has returned. A car that captures the imagination and awakens the senses. Not a rehash of past glory, but a new sports car, built with the passion and independent spirit once found in American cars.
As its name suggests, it is a roadster in the purest sense. Designed and built for the essence of open cockpit driving. A perfect marriage of new automotive technology, classic styling and hand-built craftsmanship. Its all aluminum body and chassis are the first to be designed and built in the U.S. The unmistakable shape of its aerospace industry's Superplastic Forming (SPF) technology, another automotive industry first. Each panel is carefully assembled by hand. Every weld eyed with precision. Every coat of paint lovingly applied. You can see it as you trace its curves with your eyes. You will know it the first time you slip behind the wheel. The passion and devotion that can only come from a car built by hand. Turn the key and hear the throaty growl of the AIV Roadster's 305hp. V8 confirm what your other senses have been telling you. This is a high-performance exotic meant for spirited driving. One short throw of the shifter and you're off. The response of the accelerator matched only by the AIV Roadster's quick and nimble handling.
The Panoz Roadster and the Panoz AIV Roadster are rare and unusual cars that were built in Georgia from 1992-1999. At that point in time, Federal laws changed making its production no longer possible. The factory then began production of the Panoz Esperante which continues till this day. While the Esperante has similar aluminum construction and Ford mechanicals, it is a more conventional design.
The Panoz Roadster began as a small venture of Dan Panoz who had purchased the rights to a chassis that was designed by the famous Frank Costin. The Panoz Roadster body was designed with the help of Freeman Thomas, designer of the Audi TT and the New VW Beetle.
The early Panoz Roadster had a stainless steel space frame chassis covered in special aircraft technology aluminum body work. The drivetrain was a Ford overhead valve V-8 with a five speed transmission and solid rear axle. Most of the componentry was Ford.
The later design first offered for sale in 1997 was called the Panoz AIV Roadster. This version had an all-aluminum frame with steel sub frame. The engine was an all-aluminum Ford modular double overhead cam 32 valve V-8. As a result, the car earned the designation Aluminum Intensive Vehicle (AIV). In fact, it was the first AIV made in the United States. This version had independent suspension all around. The most noticeable distinguishing feature of the AIV is the large hood scoop. The American sports car still lives!
Total Panoz AIV Roadsters sold to the public is 176.
Here are the Specifications for this car.
• Front-mid engine, rear wheel drive, two passenger roadster, curb weight is 2,600 lbs.
• Ford Aluminum Modular V-8
• 4.6 Liter (280 cu. In.)
• 4 Cams/32 Valves
• 305 Horsepower @ 5,800 RPM
• 300 lb/ft of torque @ 4,800 RPM
• Redline @ 6,800 RPM
• Borg-Warner T-45
• 5-speed Manual
• Power assisted
• Front: 13.0 inch vented discs twin piston calipers
• Rear: 10.0 inch vented discs single piston calipers
Wheels and Tires
• Front: 18 x 8 Aluminum wheels BF Goodrich Comp T/A 245/40 ZR 18
• Rear: 19 x 9 Aluminum wheels BF Goodrich Comp T/A 295/35 ZR 18
• Four wheel independent with unequal length upper and lower control arms, adjustable coil-over shocks
• Large bore extruded aluminum rails with an aluminum backbone and mild steel tubular sub-frames
• 8.8 inch with limited slip differential, final drive ratio; 3.27:1
• Superplasticly formed aluminum panels
• Leather trimmed in black or tan, with choice of walnut burl wood or carbon fibre, equipped with an Eclipse 5331, 180 watt, 4-speaker AM/FM stereo with CD player.
• A two bow soft top with side curtains
• Urethane base two stage clearcoat in Hot Red
• Dealer installed Wind Wings clipped to windshield and cut air turbulence in passenger compartment
• Drilled Aluminum gas pedal cover
• Alloy shift knob